With the resignations of Republican State Reps. Tom Newell (for a new job opportunity) and Dan Kirby (to avoid expulsion for behavior unbecoming of a legislator), special elections have been called for both seats, and candidate filing has closed.
HD28 Special Election
The winner-take-all primary is on Tuesday, March 7th. The Republican and Democratic victors will face the Libertarian candidate in the general election on May 9th.
- Steve Barnes (D-Wewoka). Raised $5650, spent $4729, $1521 on-hand as of 2/22.
- Billy Choate (R-Seminole). No finance reports filed.
- Yasminda Choate formerly/http://www.yasmindachoate.com/ (D-Saskawa). Raised $5580, spent $4167, $1413 on-hand as of 2/28.
- Blake Cummings (D-Maud). Raised $6579 ($5000 loan), spent $5209, $1370 on-hand as of 2/23.
- Jason Leonard (D-Seminole). No finance reports filed.
- Mike Matlock (R-Prague). Raised $30598 ($20087 loan), spent $10276, $20321 on-hand as of 2/27.
- Daniel Matthews (R-Meeker). Raised $12135, spent $8051, $3834 on-hand as of 2/27. Supported by OCPAC and the State Chamber (ironically enough!).
- Cody Presley formerly/https://www.facebook.com/seminolelibertarian/ (L-Wewoka). No finance reports filed.
- Marilyn Rainwater (D-Seminole). Raised $3672, spent $310, $3363 on-hand as of 2/27. HD28 Democratic nominee in 2012 (37.2%), SD28 in 2014 (28.3%), and HD28 in 2016 (33.18%).
- Zack Taylor (R-Seminole) raised $42814, spent $27543, $14771 on-hand as of 2/27. Supported by ex-Rep. Tom Newell and former U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn.
HD75 Special Election
The winner-take-all primary is on May 9th. The Republican and Democratic victors will face each other in the general election on July 11th. Filing for this race ended yesterday, so there's not much information out there on these candidates yet.
- Nik Berg (R-Broken Arrow) - age 21.
- Karen Gaddis (D-Tulsa) - age 67. Democratic nominee in 2016, got 40.44% of the general election vote.
- Tressa Nunley (R-Tulsa) - age 49. Supported by State Rep. George Faught.
- AJ Oatsvall (R-Tulsa) - age 32.
- Jamie Smith (D-Broken Arrow - age 29.
- Skip Steele formerly/http://www.skipsteele2016.com/ (R-Tulsa) - age 67. City councilman from 2011-2014, defeated in 2014, lost re-match in 2016.